Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Post-election Musings

The first Buddhist, Mazie Hirono, was elected to the Senate. Tulsi Gabbard, became the first Hindu elected to the House. Perhaps a sign that the Paul Ryan’s fear about the loss of the Judeo-Christian worldview might actually be true though in my view he can’t separate the objectivist teachings of Ms. Ayn Rand and the compassion of Jesus. Maybe his fear is our hope. 






Ryan, his wife and Ann Romney did win the prize for the most melodramatic TV appearances in defeat.

I love this quote from Hirono: "I'm a woman. I'll be the first Asian woman ever to be elected to the U.S. Senate. I am an immigrant. I am a Buddhist. When I said this at one of my gatherings, they said, 'Yes, but are you gay?' and I said, 'Nobody's perfect.'"

A majority of Roman Catholics, 50 to 48%, voted for Obama, despite the threat of damnation. Perhaps that threat decreased the total number of Catholic votes by 2% since the last presidential election. That’s a loss, but what’s really sad, though predictable, is that the bishops squandered more of their spiritual capital on lost causes. In my view it could have been more wisely used in the service of really pressing issues, like climate control, or poverty for starters.

Maine, Maryland and Washington approved same sex marriage at the ballot box. That means that 10 states now sanction our relationships to the full extent their laws allow. The voters of Minnesota wisely chose not to write a ban on same sex marriage into their constitution. Four for four. I can safely say that’s momentum and have a lot more confidence in the word than when I heard it from Romney-Ryan in the last days of their campaigns.

Looking at the demographics of the vote, old white guys no longer rule, and it that is really beginning to show in the faces of our elected officials. OMG an openly lesbian senator, a proud homosexual who came out before they were elected, or outed, or caught in a compromising position in an airport bathroom! 18 to 29 year olds made up 19% of voters, up a percentage point from the last election, and when asked what they think about equal rights, they look at you like you’re from another planet.

Karl Rove may have escaped time in the federal pen, but he persuaded a lot of very rich guys to dump hundreds of millions down the toilet. That's not going to go over very well with that crowd. You'd have to be a total idiocrat like Donald Trump to trust him with your money again. But Karl is no dummy. Plan B has to include Cayman Island accounts.

But golly gee, in the final analysis, I am thrilled that I won't have to hear or look at Mitt's goofy smile or silly laugh for 4 years. If he’d won, I’d have to turn off my TV every time he comes on like I did for the 8 years that Geo W. struggled to put two coherent words together. There is a g_d.

No comments: